“Awards are very encouraging. I know that it might sound strange that a writer who has published many books still needs encouragement, but this is true.” – Joyce Carol Oates
I value blog awards because they are recognition from my peers. Writing is fun for me, and I try to inspire others while motivating myself. However, I receive no pay for this work, so I much appreciate the recognition of an award. Blogging awards are also an opportunity for me to “pay it forward” by recognizing others who write worthwhile blogs and by telling my readers about them.
I am grateful to writer Deborah Brasket of “Living on the Edge of the Wild” for nominating Women Making Strides for the Inspiring Blog Award. Deborah spent many years living on a small boat and sailing around the world and now lives in a home that borders a nature preserve. Her writing is thoughtful and inspiring, and it makes me want to take on more adventures and follow my dreams as she does.
Thank you also to author Sandra Bellamy for nominating Women Making Strides for the Liebster Blog Award. Check out Sandra’s blog at quirkybooks. Sandra inspires me because she runs her own small businesses, including one that helps people who are redundant or unemployed to get back into work. I’m also inspired because she writes books.
Inspiring Blog Award
Many things inspire me: Olympic athletes, musicians, artists, actors, writers. Art, sculpture, gardens, nature. Concerts and musicals. Watching a triathlon or marathon. Being in a race. People who follow their passion or who change their lives for the better or who use their talents to better the world. In particular, I’m inspired by women who make strides!
I find the following blogs particularly inspiring and am nominating them for the Inspiring Blog Award:
- Dr. Bill Wooten: A focus on issues of a positive life Want to be uplifted? Subscribe to this blog
- Toliveinspired’s Blog: Living Inspired, Creative and Empowered I’m working to become more creative and this blog helps.
- Retiree Diary I am impressed by the way Michael has taken on retirement. He has become a photographer, blogger (in English – not his native language), teacher, and big-time traveler.
- Terre Britton: Breathing Art Terre is a painter, writer, and graphic designer.
- Just a Backpack and a Rollie Nancy and her husband are world travelers looking for adventure and enjoying small pleasures.
For the winners, here are the rules for accepting the Inspiring Blog Award:
1. Display award image on your blog page
2. Link back to the person who nominated you
3. State what inspires you
4. Nominate 5 others for this award
5. Notify said bloggers
Liebster Blog Award
Liebster means favorite, dearest, or beloved in German, and the Liebster Blog Award is given to favorite blogs with less than 200 followers. Although I have many more than 200 followers, my blog is new as far as number of posts, and Sandra gave me permission to accept the Liebster award. To do that, I must answer the following 11 questions so you know more about me:
- Do you prefer black or white and why? I am not an expert on Chinese philosophy, but the first image that came to mind is the Yin and Yang symbol of complementary forces. Black makes white stand out, and white makes black stand out. Hence, I like them both equally.
- What do you like most about rain? I’m happy that rain helps beautiful flowers grow and bloom, and my practical side is happy that rain means I don’t have to water my flowers as often.
- If you could publish any one book that you are currently writing, which one would it be and why? I have three books in mind but haven’t made much progress on any of them. Since I love to read mysteries, I’ll say a cozy mystery with a female protagonist.
- If you weren’t a writer, what other job would you be doing and why? I would be an editor because I also enjoy editing.
- Do you prefer poetry or prose? Prose. I like poetry (particularly poems by Emily Dickinson), but I read prose much more consistently.
- What is your greatest writing moment to date and why? Years ago, I wrote a magazine article about Worldwide Marriage Encounter. I didn’t know if it impacted anyone until I met a woman who had read my article. It prompted her and her husband to go on a WWME weekend, and they started a Spanish-speaking branch of Marriage Encounter.
- What is your favorite genre to read and why? I love cozy mysteries, especially the English classics by Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle. They provide an escape for me, with a puzzle to be solved, an appealing detective, and a glimpse of people drinking tea and chatting in English mansions.
- What is your favorite animated film? Probably The Lion King. I like stories of transformation, and I enjoy seeing Simba move from being despondent to being strong and regal.
- Do you prefer How to or self-help books and why? I like self-help books because they help me to be a better person. There is always room to improve.
- How would you like people to remember you? I hope someday I can be remembered as a Woman Making Strides.
- What are your three most positive words? Inspiration, transformation, and creativity.
My nominees for the Liebster award are:
- Be Fit Forever
- Widowsphere: A Circle of Hope
- S.E.R.V.A.N.T. Sisters
- Posts and Pens
- Being Breath
- Musings of a Creative Mind
- Don’t Repeat This in Preschool
For the nominees, here are the rules for accepting the Liebster Blog Award.
- Answer 11 questions from the nominator. (See below.)
- Nominate 11 other people to receive this award. The award is meant for people who have less than 200 followers. (If you have more than 200, feel free to accept the award if you so choose.)
- Create 11 questions for the new nominees to answer
- Place the blog award on my blog
- Link back to the people who nominated me for this award
- Inform my nominees of their award from me
My 11 questions for the nominees are:
- What is your favorite inspiring quote?
- Do you take care of yourself?
- If you could publish a book (or another book), what would it be and why?
- What is your favorite season?
- What is the main reason you started your blog?
- If you could travel anywhere and money was no object, where would you go? Why?
- What is your favorite genre to read and why?
- Who is a hero or role model for you?
- What do you do for fun?
- How would you like people to remember you?
- What are your three most positive words?
Have you won or given an award recently? How did you feel? Please share your thoughts.